Monday 3 September 2012

School Tomorrow

Today being the first Monday in September is Labour Day here which is like the British August Bank holiday but a week later.  I think it commemorates a big parade in December 1872 when the working man took to the streets to campaign for a 58 hour working week and to free some early union leaders who had been arrested because trade unions were still illegal.  It heralds the end of summer and time to pack up your holiday cottage, say goodye to the beach and stop watching so much holiday fireplace on TV.

Today is also the 67th and final day of summer vacation, school starts tomorrow.  We have managed to keep busy for most of the holiday but if I was just sending Jacob back it would be pure relief at some peace and quiet.  However, I have spent most of today (and last night) worrying about Rose starting Junior Kindergarten.

Rose herself is very excited about it and has been asking when she will start since the beginning of July.  She is super excited about her Dora the Explorer back pack and her Butterfly lunch pail and ballerina food boxes and especially about her shiny new silver trainers and she has been desperate to go on the school bus with Jacob since February.

I have been trying to focus on all the things I can do on my 2 weekly child free days but as most of the things revolve around cleaning right now (my oven is a disgrace and I've not picked up a mop since we moved in) I've been finding it rather difficult and just keep worrying about how she will get on.  When I have finished writing names in clothes, shoes, equipment etc this afternoon I will write a very long list of jobs to do tomorrow or I will spend the entire day mooning around the house going demented over nothing.  Another pang about having no responsibilities might well be on its way.


No comments:

Post a Comment