Friday 7 September 2012

Mushy Peas

Getting good fish and chips over here is pretty difficult, the general concept does not seem to be properly understood.  In a lot of places ordering English style fish and chips will get you these weird shaped battered pieces of fish that have probably been frozen and then cooked in the oven.  We have been to a couple of places that understand how to put a whole fish fillet in batter then deep fry it but they invariably come with thin cut fries and not proper fat chips.

My biggest problem is that I really, really like a good mushy pea.  The side of choice with fish and chips in Canada is coleslaw, actually it's quite a good combination but its not the same.  There is a chip shop in Orangeville (about 2 and a half hours away) that sells mushy peas but that seems like a long trip for a take out.

So I hit on the rather obvious idea of making my own, googled 'mushy pea recipes' and was amazed to find a video of how to make them from The Big Chip back in Arnside.  Hurray I thought here is my answer but it only leaves me with yet another problem of where to buy marrowfat peas.  It seems that the only thing that they are useful for is making mushy peas so you can't even buy the raw ingredients.  My only option is the English Store in London where I can get a 250g packet of Bachelors dried peas for $1.49 imported especially from England.  That's 4 times the price of ASDA. A lesson in appreciating things while you have them and having too much time on my hands with the children at school!

No comments:

Post a Comment