Thursday 20 September 2012

Mushy Peas III

I am very excited.  I have reinvented mushy peas in a marrowfat pea-less continent.  While I was in Sobeys (mid-high end supermarket maybe like Sainsburys or a posh Tesco) without children on Tuesday I had a really good look at the pulses section in search of something that might be a marrowfat substitute.  I found some dried yellow peas for $1.49/900g that looked about the right size and thought I'd give it a try.  So today I followed the Arnside Big Chip recipe (thank you Big Chip) and it worked a treat, I was gob smacked.  Admittedly they look like slurry but a dash of green food colour would sort that out and they taste great, just the right peayness and a good texture.  Here is the proof...

lovely!
I was intrigued by what a dried yellow pea is so had a quick look online and it seems that it is a yellow pea variety that is allowed to mature in the pod then dried out, much like a marrowfat pea but a different colour.  They are the peas that are split to make pease pudding and I found quite a few recipes from Scandinavia and India that use them a lot.

Sorry, you must be all pead out after that.

Also today was 'meet the teacher night' (obviously this comes second to mushy peas) so this evening we went into school and the children got to show me around their classrooms.  Now I know where Rose puts her coat and shoes, and she showed me the name card that she puts in a little pocket with her photo on to say that she is in school.  Jacob's teacher said he knows when not to talk (?) and asked if she could set him extra maths.  Jacob cheered out loud at this and was genuinely disappointed when I told him that she was joking when she said he would be doing maths for grade 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment