Saturday 1 December 2012

Happy Advent

Well here I am with nothing to talk about.  Jacob and Rose received letters from Santa in the post yesterday and Jacob was so excited that he photographed his in order to blog it (brilliant, a night off I thought) but unfortunately he was side tracked by Scooby Doo, tonight he is playing some computer game or other so I'm afraid you will have to make do with me with no prepared pictures.

Nothing exciting has happened since I became stuck in the drivers seat of the Rav on Thursday night so I will celebrate the beginning of Avent by telling you this interesting Christmas related bird fact I have come across.

Robins in Canada are quite different from English Robins.  I am told that they belong to the Thrush family, they are quite large and grey with a sort of orangy colored breast and they are migratory and only hang out in Canada during the summer preferring to fly off and have their egg nog in warmer climes.  I have known all this for a while but it didn't occur to me until just recently the devastating effect this has on Christmas, there are no Robins on anything.  Instead cards and wrapping and decorations feature Cardinals, this is a bit of one-up-man-ship I think as instead of the homely looking little brown robin with a bit of a red patch Cardinals are about twice the size and absolutely stunningly red all over.  Its all very razzmatazz but I may have to send to the UK for a little plastic robin sitting on a holly leaf to put on my Christmas cake so that I don't miss them.


No comments:

Post a Comment