Friday 11 October 2013

PA Day

Today was a PA day, in England that's an inset day when the teachers go to school but not the kids, and what a busy day we've had.  It's been so busy that I think I shall avoid needless waffle by bullet pointing it.

  • This morning Jacob dared me to cut his hair, he now has a layered bowl cut in the style of Luke Skywalker, not quite the cool surf-boy I was going for.  I would have made a fine hair stylist in the 1970s, yet another irrelevant skill for the 2010s.
  • Rose and I got into the make your own pink butterfly hair accessories kit she got for her birthday and made a big mess with a glue gun.  Photos another day.
  • We took a picnic to Rock Glen and I discovered that walnuts grow on very, very tall trees disguised as limes (the walnuts, not the trees).  The kids spent ages collecting hundreds of them and putting them in a pile at the top of the slide.  Action shot coming up, note the flying walnut to the right of Rose's head.
  • Then they spent 10 seconds shooting all the walnuts down the slide at once.
  • We went for a walk and found a fabulous maple tree.
  • Then we went fossil hunting.  Apparently Rock Glen 'features some of the very best Devonian-Era fossils in North America' (I'm quoting their brochure here) so we thought we'd have a look.  Frankly I held out little hope of finding anything the kids would recognise as a fossil so imagine my surprise when we found a crinoid, hundreds of brachiopods (of which we kept 4) and a couple of corals.  The kids spent ages mucking about round the river looking for them and even Jacob was impressed that they are about 350 million years old.

  • We needed a rest after that.
  • On the way home we called in at Twin Pines to buy pumpkins for a festive stoop.
  • And finally we popped into Best's for homemade ice creams.
I'm well and truly tired out, hope the kids are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment