Wednesday 14 November 2012

Packaging

Stir up Sunday is coming up and I am avidly awaiting the arrival of specially imported vegetarian suet.  As far as I can work out this is another ingredient like marrowfat peas that is alien to Canada. I google researched ordinary suet of the meat variety and that is available but I would never have found it as it is kept in bags in the freezer department not in a box in the home baking section.

I've come across a number of things since we moved that are packaged quite differently, nuts often come in glass jars and cranberry sauce is tinned.  You buy flour in huge quantities, the average bag is 2.5kg/5lb, not many of those fit in a shopping bag or my kitchen cupboards.  But the weirdest one is milk in bags.  In some ways this is really sensible as it reduces the packaging quite considerably and once you've wrestled it into a custom made jug it is fairly easy to handle but a bag does not seem to me to be the most obvious vehicle for pourable liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment