Wednesday 7 November 2012

Bird Houses and Wildlife

What a change has occurred in the woods around our house, here is the view from the front door today.


Now that there are minimal leaves on the trees I have a really fine view not only of the neighbors and the highway but also all the bird houses in the garden.  Jacob went on a hunt for them in the summer and he said he counted 14 hanging up or propped up on posts.  There are many different sizes and shapes including 1 cat and another posing as a man smoking a pipe but my favourite is the bird chalet pictured below.  It is tucked away at the back of the property and was covered in dense leaf growth so I'd not really paid close attention until this week, but look it even has a little picnic table and food basket on the veranda.  Rose and I added the bird and mouse to make it look occupied.


It's all nature today.  I looked out of the window this evening while I was making tea and there was a female white tailed deer standing in the middle of the lawn about 10 feet away from me, oh for a decent camera.  Rose and I watched her for a few minutes before she retreated under the pine trees where there were 2 calves from this year waiting for her.  I knew they must be around because deer are my prime suspects for nibbling my jack-o-lantern and mangling my pansies but I hadn't seen one in the garden until today.

No comments:

Post a Comment