Friday 2 November 2012

Ooh, Wintery Weather

Today in Grand Bend it snowed!  Not much mind, it fell through the air quite impressively in a couple of good flurries through the day and melted as soon as it landed but it was still snow.  Average annual snowfall here is 155cm and I have to admit that I am still 'green' enough to be looking forward to snow, I am told that by next April I will be thoroughly fed up of it.  Jacob saw on the weather network this morning that Edmonton in Alberta had proper snow cover and now he wants to move there.

I have been looking into what I should carry around in my car in the winter in case of emergencies.  I compiled a list from various sources and here's what seems to be recommended:

  • Torch
  • Blanket
  • Snow shovel
  • Brush for removing snow from windows
  • 2 liters of water
  • High calorie snacks
  • First aid kit
  • Tool kit
  • Wind up radio
  • De-icer
  • Water proof clothes (for changing a tire in the rain - yeah right, I've got break down cover and a phone that will hopefully be charged)

Gary said I should also have a candle in a jam jar as that will produce light and heat but I'm not sure if he is winding me up.  It all seems very dramatic.  So far I have 2 snow shovels and a brush for removing snow from windows in 1 car, another brush in the other car and 4 torches and 
lots of high calorie snacks in the kitchen.  Perhaps I'd better pull my finger out and at least put what I've got in the right places, or I could just give up and resolve not to drive more than 10 minutes from the house all winter and only in nice weather, and I'd really better start practicing keeping my phone properly charged.


No comments:

Post a Comment