Friday 19 October 2012

Power

Yesterday I couldn't blog because we had a power cut.  We lost our electricity at about 1pm and didn't get it back until after I was in bed and asleep, 11pm I think.  It really is rubbish how useless the modern world is without electricity.  Everything is electrical in some way or another, even the things that don't run on it directly have chargable batteries that give up.  By 4 o'clock we didn't have internet, phones, heating or lighting.

I smugly thought that we would be fine because we have a gas hob (unusual over here) but it has electrical ignition and I didn't have a single match in the house to light it with.  I contemplated driving into town to buy some but a man at the mail boxes told me all the stores were shut because of health and safety and their tills won't work without power.  I probably would have cried anyway because also all the traffic lights were down and nobody (me included) knows how to use an intersection without guidance these days.

In the end I lit the hob by lighting the BBQ with its weird ignition system, lighting a birthday candle on BBQ flame, transferring the birthday candle flame to an oil lamp (Chuck and Suzanne kindly left 2) carrying the oil lamp into the kitchen and relighting the birthday candle then using it to light the hob.  About 10 minutes after this olympic piece of ingenuity Gary came over with a gas lighter so I could have just waited.

Next week I will get better prepared and buy matches and a hundred tea lights.

Here is the photo I was going to put up had I had the means to do it.  Rose really out did herself with this outfit.  I let her go to school like that and I am looking forward to getting these photos out at inappropriate moments when she is grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment