Tuesday 2 October 2012

Crafts and Colours

I wasn't going to write today but I had an interesting morning so here I am.  I had to pop into Sarnia to organise gifts for Rose's coming birthday (also put the white witch on the naughty step, arrange a dinner date with Prince Caspian banish evil from the kingdom etc) and while I was there I checked out a craft store I noticed last time we drove through.  I was in there for 1 hour and 20 minutes, shop assistants kept coming and asking if I was ok.  I have never seen so many things that I didn't realize I needed in 1 place before in my life.  I think it was the crafts version of Barnitts in York or Lakeland Plastics.  In the end I left with some Xmas gifts for the children some stuff for Rose's birthday and a whole load of other random items that I just had no idea were necessary but I'm absolutely sure that they are, how could I pass up 10yd spools of wire edged Xmas ribbon for $2 each.

On the way home I took the long way back as I hadn't had lunch and couldn't be bothered with the motorway.  The fall colours are starting to come in down here and all along the edge of the lake there were pockets of it amongst the green.  It looks particularly pretty right now because a lot of the maize has gone to a golden shade in the fields and the roadside banks are full of these really pretty purple wild asters that grow here.  Our immediate neighbourhood seems to be a bit behind on the fall changes, or it could be because this is Carolingian Oak Savannah and some of the varieties of oaks hang onto their leaves until spring as a frost defense mechanism, so perhaps they just go brown.  Anyway, on the way to the bus stop I took a couple of pictures of the Old Ausauble channel where we spotted basking turtles in the summer, its looking quite pretty and is less hazardous than stopping at the edge of highway 7 with traffic whizzing past at 90kph.



No comments:

Post a Comment