Sunday 21 October 2012

A Day at the Museum

It's been a quiet weekend so I shall tell you about Friday.  I think this story will lose something in the telling but I haven't wanted the ground to swallow me up so badly since Jacob used the V word in front of lots of OAPs on the pier in Arnside.

As it was a PD day and the kids were not in school we went on a cultural expedition to a museum in Sarnia.  It is a privately owned place featuring 1 man's collection of masses of minerals, gems and fossils and also quite a bit of taxidermy. Rose wanted to to take home a stuffed zebra (that would look good on the roof of the car down the 402) and Jacob wanted to know if real fish have plastic googly eyes when they are alive.

All was going well and considering it wasn't a big place we got our $12 worth and had been there for well over an hour before the kids thoroughly embarrassed me.  While Rose and I were at the washroom Jacob had a lovely chat with the nice and proper looking lady in the gift shop and randomly informed her that I swore before we arrived (it was true but in my defense I was driven to it).  She was shaking from laughing as she told me, she had asked Jacob why I would do such a thing and he told her that he and Rose had been playing up all the way from Grand Bend (which is also true, although rabbit was being blamed for a lot of it).  I told her that I don't usually swear at my children but I'd just had to parallel park, she said she knew how I felt and that set her off again.

From then on things deteriorated rapidly.  While we were chatting the collection owner was very kindly showing Jacob some priceless jewels not usually on show because Jacob showed such interest and because he thought Jacob was a girl (which didn't go down well) so I was trying to look suitably amazed and impressed while the lady at the cash desk kept disolving into giggles every few minutes and Jacob and his new friend rabbitted on and Rose didn't know where to look in a gift shop full of sparkly, twinkly things.

When I finally got everybody out of the door I discovered to my horror that Rose was clutching a large heart shaped rose quartz with love written on it which I had to return immediately and frisk Rose for anything else, this set the nice lady off again.  By the time we were back in the car my head was spinning and I was ready for a very strong coffee.

I won't be taking them out again on my own in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment