Thursday 7 February 2013

Possible Snow, Sewing and More Excitement

Today we are waiting with baited breath for another Alberta Clipper to blow through.  This time though its special as it will be colliding with a wet low pressure system from Texas and apparently this means lots of snow, up to 25 cm overnight.  I bought a snow shovel!

I have been doing quite a bit of sewing this week with a sewing machine I borrowed from Gary.  I have to confess that I was a bit taken aback when I first set eyes on it and wondered if I would be able to get anything done.  Here is Jacob modelling it for me.

Is that an alien growing out of his head? no wonder he's so smart
It is a Singer 185j and was built (proudly in Canada) between 1958 and 1962 and I am enjoying using it immensely.  It is remarkably quiet and sews a very nice straight seam.  Working in the bowels of the basement in a windowless room, close to the furnace is a bit like doing a spot of sewing under Sauron's Tower in Middle Earth.  It's dim with no natural light and periodically the furnace goes on and makes weird roaring, clunking and groaning noises, I keep expecting newly birthed Orcs to come wandering past.  I wonder what part of my brain thinks immediately of Orcs and not Aragorn or Sean Bean and what that says about my state of mind.

Finally, here is Rose this afternoon when I told her I have organized dance classes for her starting this weekend and that her friend Lillian will be there too.

not quite as exciting as ice skates but pretty close

No comments:

Post a Comment