Monday 3 June 2013

Crazy Food

I found these crazy things in the grocery store today and had to buy them.
They are called "Fiddleheads"
Forgive me anyone to whom they are familiar but I had never seen the like and so had to blog them in utter amazement, I will feel suitably stupid if you can get them in ASDA/Walmart these days.  According to Wikipedia they are unfolded fern fronds of a variety of different types (hopefully not bracken as they are carcinogenic) and are regularly eaten in Eastern Canada and the US but only for about 3 days per year when they can be harvested.

Anyway, I cooked them up this evening in butter and lemon juice, they looked like a pan full of little fossils.  Tom tried one and politely said they were not for him and the kids point blank refused to have anything to do with them so I ate the whole pile.  They tasted a little bit seaweedy but were edible, I quite liked them at the time but now feel a little bilious so if I do not blog for the next few weeks you know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment