Wednesday 12 June 2013

A Weekend in Niagara

I think it might be best if I write as little as possible or this post could get very long.  We spent the weekend in the Niagara area.  When we arrived on Saturday the falls were barely visible there was so much mist and it wasn't a great day so I'm afraid I do not have any spectacular photos.
I've only previously been there once when we just stopped to get out of the car and look at the falls so the town beyond was a mystery.  I was amazed at how like a giant version of Blackpool it is, I don't think I've seen so much tat in all my life and was astonished at how much you can spend on rubbish attractions.  Needless to say the kids thought it was a magical wonderland and wanted to do everything.

On Sunday we escaped to Niagara on the Lake which appears to be the direct opposite of Niagara Falls, very genteel and filled with tasteful gift shops and Restaurants, the only thing the 2 Niagaras have in common is that they are both very, very expensive.  Here are the kids on a high quality slide in Niagara on the Lake.
Stop 1 of the obligatory playground tour
And here is Rose posing in front of America, just across the river.
We had to find a subway for lunch as the cafes and Restaurants of Niagara on the Lake were far too tasteful to take my tasteless children into then we did the tourist thing in Fort George, a reconstructed 'British' fort from the beginning of the 19th century.
Hurray for the Union Jack!
It was a beautiful day, warm with a bit of a breeze coming in off the lake, perfect for wandering about reading a guide book and the kids really got into the history thing.  There were lots of buildings peopled by costumed characters showing you how to cook and fire a musket and stuff and you could handle lots of the artefacts as they were replicas.  Rose became fixated on Major General Isaac Brock and specifically whether or not he had his uniform on when he died and we had to drag Jacob out of the interpretation centre with all the writing in when the rest of us were so hungry that we had to leave.


If you are ever in the area I strongly advise that you visit the Avondale Dairy Bar where they have 50 flavours of handmade ice cream.  It was very good.
We drove to St Catherines but they were having a music festival so we went for a walk on the beach (and found another playground).  This next picture looked brilliant in real life as you could see the Toronto Skyline and the CN tower behind the tall ship "Look at the Juxtaposition on that" I thought to myself, also "I must buy myself a good camera one day".
 That was all we could fit in on Sunday and on Monday it rained so we legged it for home via Scott and Deborah's week old baby.  Tiny babies are so lovely when you can give them back when they get loud and smell.

Oh dear, the no writing thing didn't work too well did it and I'm too tired to attempt humour, I can't work out how to finish this sentence either.

No comments:

Post a Comment