Saturday 23 March 2013

Still Winter on the Lake

This afternoon Jacob, Rose and I went for a walk to look at the beach.  Tom stayed at home to do Rock Star stuff on his own.  The Old Ausauble River is now thawing, no coyotes running up the middle of it today.

The beach still looks very wintry but the snow has melted off the lines of sand dunes in the middle of the pack ice.

Jacob and Rose enjoyed mucking about at the edge of it for a good while.

Jacob did a lot of testing the snow and ice with sticks because I said that it was not safe to walk out and he didn't believe me.

In the end I gave up arguing and we walked out to the second line of dunes, with much testing and leaving a trail of foot prints to mark the safe route home.  Actually, teetering at the top of the last dune was pretty cool, they are all sort of eroded away underneath into fantastical cave like structures.  Jacob got so cross that I wouldn't let him jump down the lake side that he dropped his testing stick over the edge.

Which was unfortunate because he forgot to follow the safe trail back to the beach and put both feet through a slushy bit of ice filling his snow boots with very, very cold water.  I had to call Tom to give us a lift home before he got frost bite.  Jacob was very annoyed about it and said that I made him go out to the dunes when he didn't even want to.  What fibs, he's not good with loss of dignity right now, especially in front of Rose.

Also today I finished the main part of my quilt top.  Now I just have to decide whether or not to put a border on it then spend the rest of my life hand quilting it.  Here it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment