Tuesday 28 May 2013

EQAO and More Sewing

This is a quick email as I am very excited.  Today I drove to Mount Brydges to try out a sewing machine and after weeks of dithering and driving Tom round the bend I have ordered one.  (Now I am clapping my hands together very fast in a camp manner but I can't help it).  I also visited a shop that had 3 whole rooms full of really, really lovely fabrics, I had to excercise a great deal of restraint to only buy 3 fat quarters.

This week Jacob is doing EQAO assessments.  This is like the Canadian version of SATs except that Jacob insists that it stands for Evil Questions About Ontario.  They last for two weeks and don't count towards anything later on in the kids schooling, I think they are mainly for league table purposes.  The school's attitude is quite different from my experience when Jacob did SATs in the UK, this is a paragraph from an information letter we received.

"EQAO assessment questions are directly based on the expectations set out in The Ontario Curriculum, which is what teachers teach in the classroom every day.  Therefore, your child does not need to prepare in any special way."

Needless to say, Jacob is enjoying being tested and if there is any sort of fun activity to celebrate being finished he will probably come home and say he'd rather be doing EQAO like he did at the end of SATs party when he was 6.  Honestly, if he didn't look so much like me I might suspect that he's a changeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment