Friday 12 April 2013

Quilts

Today I treated myself to a trip to Exeter, sans children, to visit a heritage quilt exhibition.  It was great and not least because I was the youngest person there by about 20 years.  There were an astonishing number of very beautiful and well preserved quilts (insert obvious comment here about quilters) and if I had been allowed to take pictures this would have been a very colourful blog.  I spent about 45 minutes wandering about and was introduced to some useful quilting contacts in the area so when Rose goes to school full time I might join a group.

One of the things I found remarkable was how colourful the pieces were, by that I don't just mean the colours themselves but the way they were put together, a lot were very stylish and would not have been out of place in a design magazine.  There was one brilliant, bold green and pink piece from about 1890 that strongly reminded me of pictures of this years kitchen trends.  It certainly gives our sepia picture of the past a kick in the teeth.

To celebrate I went to the fabric shop down the road and bought this bargain bundle of off cuts in 'heritage' colours.  Actually, blogging this is probably a mistake as there is a good probability that it will feature in gifts over the next year, pretend you didn't see it.


1 comment:

  1. Omg my mother will be so pleased! Sending her the link as we speak !

    ReplyDelete