Wednesday 7 October 2015

Toque Weather

Actually that's not completely accurate, it was last week but now it's warmed up again.

For British readers who may be in the dark a 'Toque' (pronounced took with a long oooooh like you're from the midlands or a hobbit named Peregrine) is a specifically Canadian term for a 'knit cap' or beanie.  I was intrigued by the spelling so googled where the term comes from and discovered that it describes a hat style with no brim popular in thirteenth to sixteenth century Europe, there's a great picture of Philip II of Spain wearing one on the Wikipedia page.  Nowadays it is 'primarily known as the headgear for chefs, except in Canada.'  I've got to say that now I know that I kind of wish that we all wore multi-coloured chefs hats in winter out here, that would be neat and also useful for sub zero barbecuing.

Anyway, with cold weather in mind I knitted myself and the kids new ones for this year.


Rose always looks great in a pink hat, I went for the Last of the Summer Wine look to reduce the chances of being mistaken for Audrey Hepburn and Jacob said he liked the 'concept' of his hat but that it was too itchy.  Back to the drawing board on that one, any chefs out there want a new and stylish black hat? I have a spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment