Friday 25 January 2013

More Snow

Sorry but I do seem to be becoming quite snow obsessed.  Yesterday we had very cold temperatures again and about an inch of very fine powdery snow.  It was the loudest, squeakiest snow I've ever heard.  It was so loud and squeaky that I could hear it crunching under the tyres above the engine noise when I was 3 point turning the car.

On the way home from swimming on Wednesday I had my first experience of driving in the dark through falling snow.  It would have been ok but there was just enough snow on the ground to totally obstruct the road markings and I found myself having to drive in the tracks of whoever had gone in front of me and hope to God they stayed in the right lane.  I wasn't keen and was glad to get home, it must have been fairly scary as Jacob was quiet for the whole 2 km!

Today we have another few inches so Todd came to clear the driveway.  Here he is with his snow blowing machine, they are very common over here but I'd never seen one before so he allowed me to take a photograph.  It has this sort of giant drill bit on the front that scoops up the snow and then it blows it all out of the funnel.

There is also a man in the neighbourhood who has a big version that he pulls around hooked to the back of a tractor and I've seen footage of enormous ones in Montreal where they blow the snow into big dump trucks then drive it away - neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment