Thursday 7 January 2016

Cold Hands

Temperatures are set to plummet next week so today I made hand warmers to keep people's little fingers warm inside their mittens.

There are quite a few tutorials out there for rice filled pouches so I thought I'd try some of those.  It's pretty simple, just fill cotton bags with rice, but there are two key things to bare in mind.  Don't use manmade fabrics or they will melt when you heat them up, and don't use quick cook rice.  Not sure what the problem with quick cook rice is, I used basmati as it is what's in my cupboard right now and that works.

So here they are.


To heat them up you just bung them in the microwave for about 30 seconds each.

The kids test drove them on the way back from school with mixed results.  They're very hot when first microwaved (the hand warmers, not the kids) then don't stay warm for a huge amount of time, 20 minutes maybe, and Jacob objected to the lovely fragrant aroma of the basmati rice.  Still for something that is essentially free it isn't bad and it reminds me of Laura Ingalls going to the sugaring dance with baked potatoes in her pockets which appeals to the pioneer in me.

I might try Martha Stewart's ceramic baking beans version if I can find some cheap in the dollar store.


No comments:

Post a Comment