Friday 12 August 2016

Ottawa

For the last couple of days we've been 'doing' Ottawa.  I can't decide if I like it best with numb hands in the rain in November or in the melting heat of 34 degrees in August.  I'm wondering about trying to come here sometime when the weather is normal.

Here's what we've done.

We went to the National Art Gallery, the buildings are amazing, this is the ramp up to the first floor.


And this is the atrium roof and some weird child with several chins.


I really enjoyed the collection of Picasso etchings although they were a bit disturbing, and the indigenous gallery, and also the Chris Cran exhibit, especially the self portrait series.  However, I won't say that seeing Tom Thompson's The Jack Pine was my only reason for coming to Ottawa but I was gutted to discover that the Canadian Art section was closed for refurb ready for the confederation celebrations next year. I guess we're visiting again.

We viewed the parliament buildings from the outside.


It's quite neat right now as they are renewing some of the copper roofing so large parts of it look like they're covered in shiny new pennies.

We watched part of the daily parade up to parliament hill, I do like a good marching band.  Even at 10am the humidity has been making it feel like the high 20s, I think they should have military sombreros for this weather.


And finally, last night we went to the free Thursday night version of the Museum of Nature.  It was good but nothing special really.  Jacob saw a narwhal tusk thing...


And a moose tried to lick his head.


We've also done some shopping (well Rose and I did while the men stood around looking bored), got hot, walked a lot, got hot, eaten some good food (too much of it), got hot, and have been swimming a hundred times.

Today we are going halfway home, the heat is finally set to break and we may have some good storms.  Glad I'm not driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment