Monday 19 January 2015

Ooh, a Beaver Dam

This week I got very excited when I read that some beavers have built a dam in Paletta Park right here in the middle of Burlington, so as temperatures had risen to a moderate -6 I dragged the family out to have a look.

There was some minor confusion about which bridge it was built next to and a lot of extra walking during which we discovered where all the ducks go in winter.
But in the end we found it conveniently located right next to the car park that we had left 15 minutes previously.  The kids and Tom were not impressed and even I was slightly underwhelmed, can you spot it in this photo?
I'm not at all sure what I expected (had got confused between 'dam' and 'lodge' for one thing) but the little pile of snow covered leaves that we found was not it.  Still, the gnawed off pencil trees were pretty cool.  Maybe I'll come down when things have thawed out and see if it looks any more Narnia like.
 

2 comments:

  1. Even with my magnifying glass I can see no Beavers. Any clues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, did I make it sound like there was actually a beaver? I'm afraid it was just the dam. You can see where the river has formed a pool and iced over in front of the bridge, looks like a miniature snowy ice rink, well the long pile of snowy leaves running across the photo in front of that is apparently the dam. I'll go and look when we have a thaw and hopefully it might look more impressive.

    ReplyDelete