Tuesday 10 December 2013

A Little bit of Christmas

Last weekend we indulged in a little bit of Christmas.

Tom went to the English shop in Burlington on Friday and bought me a pack of 4 mince pies.  Guess how much they cost... $5.75 + 13% hst, thats a grand total of $6.50 or $1.62 and half a cent each.  At today's exchange rate thats just under 1 of Her Majesty's English pounds each.  Wow.  I think they were the most expensive Christmas treats I've ever eaten, good job they were nice.
Just for a comparison and to be sure that English readers won't just shrug and tell me that that's normal I checked out the Tesco website and you can buy 12 of their 'finest' for 2.75.  I have a little request for you out there in the old country, if you chance upon a jar of mincemeat in the sales that has a best before of New Year 2015 please buy it for me and I'll pick it up in March.

On Saturday the kids and I went to Sobeys and met Santa,  you can tell by the antique sleigh parked in front of the deli counter that Sobeys is a classy establishment and look at Santa's luxuriant beard.  The kids were a bit overwhelmed by his storybook-ness, probably for the best as when I asked Rose if she was going to ask him anything (meaning tell him what she wants for Christmas) and she said she might want to know if he had swimming lessons when he was a little boy.

Our final foray into all things festive was a craft activity designed to prevent me from causing suffering to innocent poinsettias this year.  Jacob enjoyed making them and Rose didn't and individually they (the flowers) are not very convincing but the overall effect of the finished bouquet is pretty good.



No comments:

Post a Comment